Looking for Something? Search here

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Velvet Jewel Box

If I had a velvet jewel box,
Here's what I'd put inside:
the painted leaves of autumn
before their brown and dried,
the tangy nip of winter
that tries to bite my nose,
the white lace of a snowflake,
the wild wind as it blows,
the roaring rush of rivers
when ice melts in the spring,
the chirping songs of baby birds
learning how to sing.
So carefully I'd place the touch of pussy willow fur,
the rustle of the daffodils,
the prickle of a burr,
And sunshine sinking
oh so deep
right into my skin-
If I had a velvet jewel box
To put my treasures in.
By Bobbi Katz

This was poem we did in poetry today and it sparked an inspiring conversation about true treasures. When asked what they would want in their own treasure box I received the following answers
Julia: I would put all the colors of summer and look at them in winter, smell of rain, a rainbow, a baby's laughter, and mist from a river.
Blaise: I would put orange leaves in my box and throw them at daddy.
Emerson: a flower, my special rings, guardian angel medals and a piece of paper with a picture of my rabbit..

This led to great conversation about treasures. Each girl was given their own sacramental treasure chest to keep in their rooms. These were purchased years ago when they were small and every time they do a sacrament another silver coin will be given to them as a reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment